From: jarvi (jarvi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-19 16:15:18

On Sep 19, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:

> I like the look of this - though I'm not really familiar enough with
> boost::tuple to have a strong opinion. I also liked the test. Has
> this
> been tested with msvc 6.5? This platform gave me a lot of headaches
> with
> serialization of boost::variant but I went through to maintain the
> idea that
> serialization is supported on that platform.
>
> Better yet, which platforms has this been tested on?
>
> Does the author of Boost.Tupple have anything to say about this?

The implementation relies on the cons-list implementation of tuples.
It is part of the public interface of Boost.Tuple, but not part of the
TR1 specification.
So if one wants to define serialization so that it works with any TR1
compatible
tuple implementation, one must build the metafunctions around the
get<N> templates.
The downside of this is, that more compiler resources will be used.

Also, at some point we'll roll in "Fusion" that will largely replace
the current code of
Boost.Tuple. Then we'll have more powerful means to iterate over
tuples, in the style
of MPL. But for now, my suggestion would be to consider implement
serialization using
TR1 compatible facilities. Or be prepared to change the implementation
when fusion
is included into boost.

  Best, Jaakko