From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-22 11:08:08

Joaquín Mª López Muñoz <joaquin_at_[hidden]> writes:

<snip long quote>

Please don't overquote.

>> > 2. "a==b" is a C++ expression, so implying that a and b are
>> > objects living inside the same program. If I save an object a
>> > on my PC, pass the file to you and you load it a year later as
>> > b on your Linux box, what is "a==b" supposed to mean?
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> > 3. A serializable type can be implemented without observing
>> > the "a==b" rule: for instance, a list-like container can
>> > load the elements in reverse order --I understand this is
>> > a perfectly legitimate implementation that shouldn't be banned
>> > because of the "a==b" restriction.
>>
>> I'm not sure it should be considered legit under any Archive concept
>> that will be defined by the library. Is it a useful semantics?
>> Beware premature generalization!
>
> In my serialization stuff for Boost.MultiIndex I actually have a
> serializable type that does not conform to the equivalence rule. Its
> layout kinda looks like:
>
> template<typename Value>
> struct node
> {
> value v;
>
> template<class Archive>
> void serialize(Archive& ar,const unsigned int)
> {
> // do nothing
> }
> }
>
> I use this weird construct to make node trackable, but no contents
> information is dumped to the archive (that is taken care of somewhere
> else in the program). In case you're curious, this arises in connection
> with serialization of iterators.

I can't imagine why you'd need that; a hint would help me to
understand better.

Are you saying there's no sense in which a deserialized node<T> will
be equivalent to the one that has been serialized? I realize they
have different "value" members, but sometimes those kinds of
differences disappear under the right concept of equivalence. For
example, if Value is a pointer, we don't expect it to have the same
bits.

> So, yes, there are actual uses of serialization not conforming to
> the equivalence rule.

If so, that may kill off my argument.

> I guess one can also figure out other possible scenarios breaking
> the equivalence rule, like for instance a struct where some fields
> are serialized whereas others are local.

Okay.

>> > as they relay to user provided serialize() functions.
>>
>> But that's not what Robert is saying; he's saying they don't have to
>> even do that!
>
> IMHO an archive should guarantee that loading/saving an UDT executes
> the associated load/save functions.

That makes sense. I'm beginning to be convinced that you have it
right.

> Failing to do would devoid the Archive concept of most useful
> purposes. A do-nothing archive (i.e the logging example) could be
> covered by a more relaxed concept, if someone finds that useful.

Well, the do-nothing Saving Archive doesn't have to have a
corresponding Loading Archive. It's the notion of correspondence that
we're concerned here, not necessarily an intrinsic property of Archives.

>> > So, from my point of view, the real task of an input/output
>> > archive pair is to ensure that, when a T::serialize function is
>> > invoked on loading, the input context (i.e, permissible >> ops
>> > on the input archive) is a replica of the output sequence.
>> >
>> > This rule recursively descends to primitive (in the serialization
>> > sense) types, where an equivalence rule can actually be provided.
>> > My (skectchy) proposal is merely a formalization of this
>> > idea.
>>
>> That's an interesting rule. So essentially you are saying that the
>> output archive needs to record enough structure to ensure that the
>> input archive can read the same sequence of types?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What if the user serializes an aggregate struct X containing two ints?
>> Is the corresponding input archive required to be able to read two
>> ints as part of reading an X?
>
> Not only that: X::save is actually *required* to load those two
                    ^^^^ ^^^^
??
> ints.

> Consider
> the following sample:
>
> #include <boost/config.hpp>
> #include <boost/archive/text_oarchive.hpp>
> #include <boost/archive/text_iarchive.hpp>
> #include <iostream>
> #include <sstream>
>
> struct foo
> {
> foo(int a=0,int b=0):a(a),b(b){}
>
> int a,b;
>
> BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SPLIT_MEMBER()
>
> template<class Archive>
> void save(Archive& ar,const unsigned int)const
> {
> ar<<a;
> ar<<b;
> }
>
> template<class Archive>
> void load(Archive& ar,const unsigned int)
> {
> ar>>a;
> // we do not load b!!
> }
> };
>
> int main()
> {
> const foo x0(1,2),x1(3,4);
>
> std::ostringstream oss;
> {
> boost::archive::text_oarchive oa(oss);
> oa<<x0;
> oa<<x1;
> }
>
> foo y0,y1;
>
> std::istringstream iss(oss.str());
> boost::archive::text_iarchive ia(iss);
> ia>>y0;
> ia>>y1;
>
> std::cout<<"y0.a="<<y0.a<<std::endl;
> std::cout<<"y1.a="<<y1.a<<std::endl;
>
> return 0;
> }
>
> Note that foo::save only loads the first int. The program outputs
>
> y0.a=1
> y1.a=2
>
> which is incorrect (y1.a should be 3), so serialization of foo is not
> correctly implemented. For XML archive types my hunch is that the
> program would throw.

Okay, so it would be sufficient to add

      int x;
      ar >> x;

to foo::load, right? Otherwise it seems you're treading back into the
domain of equivalence.

> Well, of course users of Boost.Serialization (specially if they do
> not write any serialize function of their own but merely use
> serialization capabilities of 3rd party types) expect this fuzzy
> equivalence rule to be held. My point is that meeting that
> expectation is up to each serializable type implementer, and
> shouldn't be enforced by the concepts section.

That may make it hard to describe the semantics of generic code that
uses Serializable types with Archives. But then, I guess people can
invent a stronger concept if necessary.

> If Robert does not have the time/will to pursue a more formal approach,
> I think the equivalence rule could be relaxed to something like:
>
> T x, y;
> // arbitrary operations on x to set its state
> sar & x;
> lar & y;
>
> Postconditions:
> *For primitive serializable types, y is equivalent to x.
> *For pointer types, bla bla
> *Other types are expected to implement serialization
> in such a manner that y is equivalent to x, but this is not
> guaranteed.

I really prefer your operational approach now. I don't think it's
hard to describe in a reasonably formal way, and the loosened
equivalence you describe above really isn't worth very much.

> * An input archive iar is compatible with an output archive oar if
> 1. iar allows a sequence of >> ops matching the corresponding << ops
> made upon oar (matching defined in terms of types involved and
> nesting depth of the call.)

Is the nesting depth of the call really relevant?

> 2. For primitive serialization types, the restored copies are equivalent
> to their original (expand on this, specially with respect to pointers.)
> * A type T is serializable if it is primitive serializable or else it defines
> the appropriate serialize (load/save) function such that the sequence
> of >> ops in load() match the << ops in save().
>
> [This is not a requirement] For each serializable type, the implementor
> can define "equivalence" in terms of its constituent types. For instance,
> for std::vector:
>
> Given a std::vector<T> out, where T is serializable, and a restored copy in,
> then in(i).size()==out(i).size() and each in(i)[j] is a restored copy of
> out(i)[j].

I don't think this latter part is worth much. I think it might be
worth defining an EquivalentSerializable concept, though.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting