From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-26 14:21:47

Rene Rivera wrote:
> After having run two cycles of tests for Boost with the
> mingw-3_4_2-stlport-5_0 configuration and having it take more than 14
> hours on a 2.2Ghz+1GB machine, most of that in the Boost.Serialization
> library[*].

BTW - on my machine here I test borland 5.51, borland 5.64, msvc 6.0, msvc
6.0-stlport 4.53, VC 7.1, gcc 3.3 with cygwin, and comeau. The whole set of
tests take about 5 hours on my 2.2 GHz machine for all seven compilers.
That's just the serialization library - I don't test other libraries. So if
you're experiencing 11 hours CPU time for one compiler you're definately
doing something differently than I am.

Note in a couple of cases I found test that fail in a particularly
inconvenient way on some platforms. This is usually that either they loop
forever or allocate so much memory that they thrash forever. Sinced you're
running 11 hours CPU time for just one compiler, it would be helpful to
determine the cause. Its possible that failure in just one test is causing
the failure.

On win32 platforms there is no test cut-off for tests which exceed some
predetermined resource levels. Obviously that would be helpful, but for now
we just have to look at them.

Robert Ramey