From: Manfred Doudar (manfred.doudar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-27 11:08:27

David Abrahams wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Last night I hosted a birds-of-a-feather session at the SD Best
>Practices conferences here in Boston. I was encouraged that, at a
>conference that only adopted a C++ track this year, we had 15 people
>there. It was about evenly split between people who were using Boost
>and those who just came to find out more about it. Those who were
>using Boost were really enthusiastic.
>
>I was stunned to discover that the rest of them reported that wanted
>to know what Boost _is_, but that the website doesn't tell them. And
>when they said that, it hit me like a ton of bricks: they're right!
>
>We really need a section at the top of the page titled "What is Boost?"
>that covers something like the following:

[snip]

>I'd like to see some discussion of what's missing (or extra) in the
>list above...
> and a volunteer to write the introductory passage :)

How about the following for an introductory passage:

The C++ BOOST Libraries are a series of free, peer-reviewed, STL compliant,
portable and thread-safe C++ libraries; within the ear-shot of
standardization.
The libraries themselves reflect unparalleled quality, and are the
epitome of
modern C++ method, design, idiom & practise; and in so doing, lend
themselves
to more efficient throughput by virtue of powerful abstractions, whence
code
that is inherently more maintainable, scalable, and less error prone, hence
quality driven. –The Boost Community constitutes professionals across a
broad
spectrum of industry and specialization; while a number of C++ Boost
Library
authors and participants include sitting members of the C++ Standards
Committee
Library Working Group.

Cheers,

--