From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-30 08:36:18

"David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote

> "Arkadiy Vertleyb" <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > If we were to make C++ commersially successfull
> ^^^^
>
> C++ is already quite commercially successful, thank you.

Commercial success is not something done once and for all. My recent visit
to monster.com resulted in 50% more links to Java jobs than to C++ jobs.
It's dynamics that I hate the most. Consider that a big part of C++ jobs
are related to maintanance of huge legacy codebase, and the picture is far
from perfect.

Since the whole conversation started from Andy's statement that GUI is an
important factor of Java's success, I just specified a few other areas where
C++ and Boost, IMO, are far behind Java, the areas I consider far more
important than GUI. I also couldn't resist to supply my understanding of
_why_ the things are in such state. If I did this in inappropriately
emotional way, I am sorry. I did not mean to offend anybody, and if I still
did, I appologize once again.

Regards,
Arkadiy