From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-30 12:36:48

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" wrote
>
>> We really need a section at the top of the page titled "What is Boost?"
>> that covers something like the following:
>>
>> * Boost is a collection of C++ libraries
>> - Free for any use
>> - Extensively peer-reviewed
>> - Extensively Tested
>
> I believe that http://www.boost.org/more/proposal.pdf covers this quite well.
>
>> * When you download Boost, you get the whole collection
>
> Is this a feature or just an unexciting fact?

This is not about excitement or features. Unexciting facts are
exactly what these people wanted, and were missing.

> IMO this needs to go in the download section

Maybe it bears repeating there.

>> * There are some dependencies among libraries, but they are not
>> tightly coupled.
>
> Then why do you need to download the whole collection?

Because that's the way it is.

>> * There is a tool (bcp) for extracting the parts you want and their
>> dependencies.
>
> Then why is it not available at the website? You still have to download the
> complete libraries.

Because that's the way it is. Are these questions relevant to what
should go in the What is Boost section, or are you just asking me?

> FWIW I would put all this information in the download section and/or
> in a using boost commercially section. Knowing no better I would
> expect to be able to download one library at a time, so boost needs
> to explain thats not possible at this point.

That's what "when you download boost, you get the whole collection"
means.

>> * Many boost libraries can be used just by putting the library
>> collection's top directory in your #include path. Complete
>> instructions for getting started are at: ___
>
> This sounds like a FAQ

No, it is not a frequently asked question. In fact, it's not a
question. It's one of the things people need to know up front when
deciding whether to even to try Boost in the first place. "How hard
will it be just to get an experience of this thing?"

>> * The important features of the Boost directory structure are:
>> - boost
>> - libs
>> - more
>> - tools
>> (with rough descriptions of each)
>
> That is probably the beginnings of a Site map isnt it?

No, the site may not reflect the Boost CVS structure forever. It's a
very simple description of what people can expect to see in the
decompressed archive they download.

>> I'd like to see some discussion of what's missing (or extra) in the
>> list above... and a volunteer to write the introductory passage :)
>
> Sorry that my previous post sounds like a criticism. Rene Rivera has
> done a great job of redesigning the main page but that is only
> trying to paper over the cracks job IMO .The whole boost website
> needs to be redesigned.

Definitely.

--
Dave Abrahams