From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-01 08:47:20

On 9/30/05, Calum Grant <calum_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > I am very interested in using both your RML and persist
> > library (especially RML with persist) to avoid sql db altogether!
>
> I expect it would be very good in terms of performance - though not
> quite so convenient in terms of all the other niceties that DBMSes
> provide.

If the performance advantage is clear many will contribute the niceties !

> > - The 1 million row limitation looks awfully low to me. Is
> > the code 64-bit ready ? If not, do you have any plans for x86_64 ?
>
> I don't have 64-bit hardware to play on. I expect it would work a lot
> better because the 32-bit limit wouldn't be hit.

Is the code 64-bit ready ? What was limiting the scalability to 1 million
rows
rather than say 100 million ?

> - This seems a core library that boost should have. Do you
> > plan to submit it ?
>
> I hadn't honestly considered it. Isn't this functionality covered by
> Shmem anyway? Persist is completely free - so Shmem could make use of
> it. I would certainly be happy to change the license from LGPL to
> Boost.

I have to study shmem but I think the persistent STL bits are more suited
as the base library for other database libraries like RML and not as part of

a shared memory library.

It's only an organizational issue. My feeling is that if the persistent
containers are
developed by people working on database issues it will get more focus on
performance
and be more suited for real-world solutions.