From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-03 16:13:10

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> >> >> >>

> It's just a misunderstanding. I was describing a "what is boost?"
> section; that was the title of my message and that was my focus. The
> front page or elsewhere was incidental. You obviously took me to be
> saying that all of this info belongs on the front page. I took you to
> be saying that the information should be on a different page from the
> rest of "what is boost?"

Got it.

> >> Why?
> >
> > Because I've said on many occasions, including in messages in
> > this thread, that the home page should be directed at a different
> > audience.
>
> That doesn't explain wanting to have two separate introductory
> sections.

I want one on the home page that is focused on business needs,
and another, on a separate page, that gives lots of technical
details. Those looking for the technical details are going to be
interested in the less technical content on the home page, but it
will be insufficient. The secondary page will develop the points
with much greater detail and will provide much more information.

> > I've previously suggested that there should be a secondary "home"
> > page suitable for Boosters. Consequently, I'm advocating:
> >
> > - Simplify the home page considerably. It should target the
> > business type, but have links to more details.
>
> I don't know what a business type is, but usually terminology like
> that is used by someone who sees the "type" he's addressing as
> somewhat alien. I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you know
> that audience, and that makes me wonder why you want to direct the
> home page at them. Could you explain?

Well, I'm not management, but I have had supervisory positions.
Thus, "business types" doesn't include me. As a technologist, my
focus is guided by business aspects, but is concentrated on
technical issues. A manager, OTOH, is typically not terribly
interested in the technical issues--at least until they prevent
meeting a business goal--and often doesn't understand them.
Thus, the manager needs quite different information to understand
and feel comfortable with Boost than does the senior developer
working for that manager.

> > - Put a lot of the information you're asking for (or at least
> > the details thereof) on another page or several pages.
>
> My point was that most of it needs to be in one place.

Perhaps I've helped you to see that some of the points you
mentioned are useful for the business and technology oriented
visitor and others are only of interest to the latter. Thus,
some separation is warranted.

> > - Create a page more like what Andy's been asking for that
> > provides all a Booster could want on a page that doesn't try
> > to describe Boost, too. If that page had a really short URL,
> > then Boosters could learn to type
> > http://www.boost.org/something-short-here just as easily as
> > http://www.boost.org.
>
> http://developer.boost.org

http://dev.boost.org would simply replace "www" with "dev" and
incur no additional keystrokes. I like it.