From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-04 09:26:09

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> >> My point was that most of it needs to be in one place.
> >
> > Perhaps I've helped you to see that some of the points you
> > mentioned are useful for the business and technology oriented
> > visitor and others are only of interest to the latter. Thus,
> > some separation is warranted.
>
> No, you haven't. The people I talked to were all tech people; this
> was the information they wanted. Empirical evidence like that carries
> a lot of weight with me.

I haven't argued giving such people the information they need!

I want to target the *home page* at non-technical people; too
much technical information will turn them away. Therefore, I
want to keep some of the more technical information off of the
home page, and instead rely on a few links to refer technical
visitors to it elsewhere on the site.

Whether you gather all of the more technical information your
"tech people" needed into one or several pages is mostly
irrelevant to me--at this point, anyway.

So, you could list some business oriented reasons why Boost is
valuable to the visitor and end the list with a bullet referring
to "technical benefits" that is a link to another page that the
interested party can read. You could provide information, of
interest to the business type, regarding how Boost fits into
their organization and end with a link to information on how
Boost fits into the development process. Again, the interested
party can read the secondary page for more information. This
approach allows the non-technical, business type to get enough
information to allow a technical person to further evaluate
Boost. It is that person that will want more than the home page
offers.

Doesn't this approach sound appropriate and beneficial?