From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-04 13:45:50

Joel de Guzman wrote:

> Agree 101% !!!
>
> And that is one area I'd love to work on! This will require a new
> way of thinking and quite a bit of work but I think it's the right
> way to go. --Expecially since we have cool vector libs like
> Antigrain: http://www.antigrain.com/. That is why I think forcing
> the use of only platform specific widgets is very limiting. Take
> a peek at http://tinyurl.com/c6zhp, for example, where all the
> GUI elements, including menus and buttons (even scroll bars) are
> implemented on the basis of Anti-Grain Geometry, so that, all the
> rendering infrastructure is multi-platform. That's my definition
> of beautiful!

I agree 90%. I don't think it requires a new way of thinking, at least
not on the user's side. Vector-based GUI implementations have been
around (e.g. NeWS implemented a superset of PostScript in 1993). If
you're working on the level of using existing widgets (that's what most
programmers do when they implement GUIs for their applications) then
there's not much of a difference: you create a widget, place it
somewhere and wait for the callbacks to fire.

I'm definitely interested in GUI library that is based on a vector
graphics kernel.

Regarding antigrain: WOW!

Regards,