From: Kevin Wheatley (hxpro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-05 08:26:29

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > You should never specify object size at all. The size of main window should
> > be set the GUI library, or set as proportion of screen size.
>
> The size of a composite graphic should be determined by negotiating the required
> size (range) necessary to draw the content with the size the screen (or generally,
> parent graphic) provides.
> See http://fresco.org/docs/papers/blending.pdf for a description of this process.

The answer is of course you need both...

I have a widget, its an 'OK' Button - I don't care how big it is or
what you measure it with, it may or may not need to scale as the pixel
count of the screen is increased... If I buy a big screen I normally
want to be able to put more stuff on it... but not so that the text
becomes impossible to read for instance. Size is determined by font
size, etc.

I have another widget, its purpose is to display my streaming HD video
... it had better be exactly XxY pixels else I won't be able to
control the scaling correctly. Size in this case is controlled by
content which is measured in pixels.

Is this a special case ... maybe, can this be done with '3D' floating
point co-ordinates ... yes if you get your transforms correct, this
requires knowing the viewport and a bunch of other stuff but it is
do-able.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |