From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-09 05:41:03

>>I think you're thinking like a programmer here :)
>>(and not like a user).
>>A user expects your program to follow a standard (the OS's standard)
>

> But maybe I'm developing a Unix app on Windows. (which in my case is actually
> plausible. I prefer developing on Windows to Linux for instance). Anyway FWIW
> replicating Look is easy and maybe not as important to get exact, but
> replicating feeel is more complicated and more important.

Yup, I *feel* you ;)

> Meanwhile I'm glad you showed up! I have been looking at various GUI systems
> including win32gui. There are a lot of things I like in win32gui, for instance
> use of units.. if only for scripts. However despite the platform independent
> events section in the documentation, from looking through the source the library
> seems to be clinging very tightly to Win32 API. As such I dont see how it can
> be made platform independent without breaking the current interface. What are
> your comments on that?

Again, I think it's possible -- I'll need to split the
platform-dependent and platform-independent parts, to make it more clear
- which is quite some work, but I should have some time for it in the
next couple of months.

Then, you'll see what needs to be ported. As for events, I'm for using
what the underlying OS has. In the CUJ article for Jan 06, I'll delve
deeper into events. I think I can even provide means to emulate an
event, if your platform doesn't have it -- but it's too soon to be certain.

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all