From: Dave Harris (brangdon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-09 12:45:08

joel_at_[hidden] (Joel de Guzman) wrote (abridged):
> Seriously, look at it the other way... most docs and layouts that
> need accurate layouts (e.g CAD drawings) are in metric.

I don't see this as an argument for metric, but as an argument for not
imposing any particular unit system on apps.

That said: currently output resolution is described in "dots per inch" -
in imperial units. For example, screens are 96dpi or 72dpi, and some
printers are 300dpi. Applications which naturally use metric have rounding
issues whatever they do; you can't help them. You can help imperial ones
by not forcing them to convert to metric as a spurious intermediate step.

-- Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK.