From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-11 05:50:59

Just to chime in, the modifications I came up with for size_t are very
similar. One must be able to treat size_t separately, #ifdefs and
overloads of save() in the derived archive type won't cut it. I
gather that this isn't big news.

These portability testing mods might come in handy if you're going to
make these modifications. Robert, you want this stuff? I'm worried
that the integration could start to become a hassle. It's a lot of
trivial changes to test modules, Jamfile tweaks, a modified tmpnam()
and a modified remove(), the use of boost::random instead of
std::rand() so that A is the same on all architectures, reseeding of
the rng's in certain places, and the ubiquitous class "A" is either a
portable one or a nonportable one depending on what archive you're
testing. If you don't specify the "I want to test portability" flag,
the tests run as they do now, except for that they're unit tests, not
test_main() tests.

The portability bit comes in when you specify
--serialization-testdata-dir=/some/where. I've changed tmpnam() to
macro TESTFILE("unit_test_name") which returns
/some/where/platform/version/compiler/archivetype.unit_test_name (for
instance
/path/to/Mac_OS/103300/GNU_C__version_4.0.0/portable_binary_archive.hpp.variant_A),
and remove(), now finish("unit_test_name"), is a no-op when testing
portability. This allows you to afterwards run a little utility to
walk the filesystem at /some/where and compare the checksums of the
corresponding archivetype.unittestnames. So one just points
/some/where to network disk, or writes a little script to do a remote
copy, and then runs the comparison. My hunch is that a checksum won't
be a good comparison for xml and text archives due to variances in the
underlying implementations of << for primitive types, (I've only been
hammering on a portable binary archive), but one could easily use a
whitespace-ignorant "diff" or something. It isn't ideal, as
whitespace differences could still concievably trip things up, but
this would require extensive modifications to every unit test, and I
wasn't going to do them if there was a reasonable chance the changes
wouldn't be used.

Another problem is that it isn't easy to plug in your own archive
type. One must add files to libs/serialization/test and hack around
with the jamfiles. Needs a better interface.

Matthias, I'm curious as to what your testing strategy has been, how
automated it is, and if you see such a scheme as being useful...

-t