From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-11 13:45:38

On 9/29/05 6:25 AM, "Martin Bonner" <martin.bonner_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

I don't know what the timing difference is. But it's still a penalty we
would have to bear, especially for arrays of integers. (I wanted to create
a type that had an array of integers, kind of like a std::bitset. I just
don't want to suffer a penalty if I can avoid it.) And wouldn't the
difference get worse if/when we transition to 128-bit (or 256-bit) computing
and "int" stays at 32 bits?

>> Isn't int the 'natural' integer type, by definition?
> Depends what you mean by "natural", but for a normal English meaning,
> probably not.
[TRUNCATE a longer exposition of next sentence's content]

It was supposed to always match, but vendors "betrayed" that idea to
maintain compatibility.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie