From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-19 00:07:57

troy d. straszheim wrote:
> Notice also the use of rule templates to provide the demo tests
> with the exec monitor lib, and the unit tests with the unit test
> framework lib.

> -- Jamfile is revamped per Rene's suggestions using rule templates.
> I'm sure there are a couple of toolset requirements that I've
> managed to drop, but this should just be putting them back in some
> places. Overall I think it's more flexible/maintainable, but of
> course it isn't finished.

Nicely done :-)

> -- I'm not 100% clear on my use of rule templates in the Jamfile.
> Somebody might want to take a look at this. Specifically, it isn't
> clear to me between which of the three colons <define>WHATEVER
> should go, and where toolset::required-something-or-other should
> go. I can verify that things work OK for gcc, but I don't have a
> windows here to test with.

Both of those go in the "requirements" section of the target definition.
Which has this form:

[target-type] # target #
   : # sources * #
   : # requirements * #
   : # default-build * #
   ;

Think of "toolset::whatever" as dynamic requirements. They get decided
by running the named rule when the real targets, specific to the type of
build, are getting created.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything