From: Alberto Ganesh Barbati (abarbati_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-26 15:50:42

Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

> That was supposed to be:
> http://www.boost.org/libs/iostreams/doc/index.html?path=3.7

Well... all I see is an empty page with the sentence "[To be supplied in
the next release]", but I guess the page is simply not up-to-date ;-)

Thanks for your explanation. As you said, it's a pity that we can't
impose copy-constructibily only in the cases where it's really required,
but the advantage is probably not worth the trouble in terms of effort
and potential incompatibilies. In the end, I implemented my device
wrapping the non-copiable part in a shared_ptr, it's not too
inconvenient. In case you are wondering, I used boost.iostreams to
provide a stream-like interface to pipes loosely inspired by Python's
subprocess module
<http://python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/module-subprocess.html>. I am going to
post a proposal in a separate thread.

Ganesh