From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-01 07:37:41

"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> When using boost/test/minimal.hpp, it doesn't respond to the presence
>> of --catch_system_errors=no, which makes it unreasonably difficult to
>> debug problems on Windows. All I get is an exception caught by the
>> test library, with all of the info about the real cause of the error
>> lost, which is absolutely unhelpful. It seems to me that the minimal
>> configuration ought to at least be useful for writing and debugging
>> simple test cases.
>
> Minimal testing facility doesn't process any CLA.

http://boost.org/libs/test/doc/usage/command_line.html and
http://boost.org/libs/test/doc/usage/msvc_net.html#t2 don't make that
clear.

BTW, "CLA" is not a universally understood abbreviation.
(http://boost.org/libs/test/doc/open_issues.html)

> Execution monitor by default catches all the errors (which I think
> reasonable default).

I'm not sure it is. It seems to me that Boost.Test has two uses:

  1) for writing effective unit and regression tests
  2) for writing "resilient" software

Given its name, I think (1) should be emphasized, but I think the
"catches all errors" behavior is more appropriate to (2).

> If you prefer more customization use different
> component. Easiest substitution would be:
>
> boost/test/included/test_exec_monitor.hpp

That worked; thank you.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting