From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-03 08:33:16

Bronek Kozicki wrote:
> On 03/11/05, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Why do we suddenly need to add markup for 1.33.1? This problem has
>> been present for years.
>
> well, indeed vc71 is affected as well, but I did not know about it.
> Did you?

I knew about the linker folding feature, but didn't know that the test
wasn't failing only because folding wasn't on.

> Is it mentioned somewhere in boost documentation?

No. This issue has never been reported as a practical problem; whether this
is due to the fact that different functions of the same type sharing
representation is rare, or due to the fact that mem_fn comparisons are
rarely used, I don't know. Probably a combination of the two.

The problem is not limited to member pointers. Try this simple test:

#include <iostream>

void f()
{
}

void g()
{
}

int main()
{
    std::cout << (f == g) << std::endl;
}

This potentially affects function<>::contains and bind equality, but we
don't have test cases for it. Yet.