From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-03 16:15:22

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Given the rate at which new libraries are proposed, I cannot do
> this task alone. I'm the father of eight (yes, 8!) children (so
> far, at least), I have a full time job, etc. Like everyone else,
> I'm quite busy. Thus, I need help. I intend to be the manager
> of a group of folks who can divide the workload to make it
> manageable. To that end, I propose the following positions to
> assist in improving the state of Boost documentation:
>
> Editors - Folks with demonstrably good English skills who can
> assist library authors by clarifying and correcting
> the documentation at various times, as determined by
> the author, so the meaning is clear. Editors also
> advice the author on structural changes necessary to
> conform to Boost guidelines. Editors are not so
> much concerned with content as with clear
> communication of what is included.
>
> Domain Experts***
> - Folks with special skills in writing certain types
> of documentation such as concepts or tutorials; when
> a library author is struggling to write a portion of
> the library's documentation, the author can call
> upon the appropriate domain expert for assistance.
>
> Mentors - Folks with skills and desire to write good
> documentation who can come alongside a new library
> author to ghost write, share writing tasks, suggest
> content, etc. The output from author/mentor
> collaboration must still be approved by an editor.

Rob,

I like the direction you're going in but I think your plan may be a
bit too elaborate to manage. I suggest that you start with something
more lightweight --- like a group of trusted volunteer editors and no
further classification --- and start handing out jobs as necessary. I
think you'll quickly discover the different kinds of roles that people
need to play. In other words, I suggest that you let the structure of
this effort evolve more organically. It will surely reveal itself as
you go along.

And --- though I really don't have time --- I volunteer to help anyway
:)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting