From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-10 07:24:31

Yes - definitely. I think Boost badly needs a logging system and this is a
the best basis on which to start. Unlike many libraries, logging is highly
environment sensitive and not easily tested using formal tests like Boost
library: it needs an 'assault' by many and varied users. Like the Boost
Test library when first accepted, this has some rough edges, but it is only
by accepting it that we will get the feedback from users and give an the
incentive to the author to refine the library.

| Additionally please consider giving feedback on the following general
topics:

| - What is your evaluation of the design?

Looks sufficiently flexible for most purposes and reasonably efficient.
I see no 'killer' criticisms of the design from domain experts.

| - What is your evaluation of the implementation?
Not qualified to judge, but it needs more refinement, particularly on the
very many different platforms and mode of use. It needs more varied
real-life use.

I'd very much like to see an optional interface with the Boost date-time
library.

| - What is your evaluation of the documentation?
Looks reasonable, but needs refinement in the light of user experience.
Layout is plain and simple and fine for me (I doubt the work involved in
producing fancier versions is worth it).
I may be willing to assist with 'editorial' work on it.

| - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Very useful.

| - Did you try to use the library?

Yes. Built some of the provded examples OK.
I didn't try to build the library but added the three files to the project.
Used the VS IDE to create empty console application.

With what compiler? VS 8.0 beta 2. Did you have any problems?
 Yes, several minor.
| - How much effort did you put into your evaluation?
About 2 hours.
| - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
No. A naive would-be user.