From: bwood (brass_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-14 16:31:29

This is a MIME encoded message.

--=_1e6ef2fcf96d9a3743040e8d704581df

Martin Slater wrote:
>> //build oArch.
>> Ebenezer:
>> msgs.Send(buffer, lst); // where I didn't remove anything
>> // from Send's implementation.
>>
>> I think as you say, whether a flush gets embedded in the Send
>> function should be configurable, but right now it just is.
>> I'll admit it would be better if I didn't have to remove (#if 0)
>> the end of the Send function, but I don't think that invalidates
>> anything.
>
>This I humbly disagree with, from a user point of view I would not
>want to patch either library to get optimal performance, If it is
>there and required then tests need to be done with it in. It would
>be simple to speed up boost.serialization by #if 0'ing out per class
>meta information lookups (versioning etc) but would still be
>extremely artificial.

Either way, with or without the embedded flush code, Boost
serialization is less efficient than Ebenezer's Send in both
tests.

Today I timed how long it takes to build the two testcases
mentioned in the original post on Nov. 8th. I used the date
command so the numbers are only in seconds.

Boost 42 61
Ebenezer 12 20

>>>It would be interesting to see what the results are with a vanilla
>>>version of your library as well as a feature by feature comparision
>>>see if you really are comparing apples to apples.
>>>

>> Both Boost and s11n.net support things like XML that Ebenezer
doesn't.
>> Boost in my opinion mistakenly tries to support "versioning." We
>> don't and I don't think s11n does either.
>
>Well since I use versioning heavily with boost.serialization this is
>a must have feature for me.

What happens if you want to change the type of an existing data
member between releases - say from char to short?

Brian
www.webEbenezer.net

--=_1e6ef2fcf96d9a3743040e8d704581df--