From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-14 17:50:23

Matthias Troyer wrote:

I'm sorry if that's how it came off. It certainly wasn't directed at you.
I crafted the email in response to Dave's request to take another
look at it. I resented being pressured into that was my response.

I had originally looked at the submission enough to conclude to
my satisfaction that implementing your idea didn't require
any modification of the core library. At that point, I didn't have
a whole heck of a lot to say about it. I reallise that you had
the opposite view on this point and that (and I guess you
still do) after a little bit of back and forth, I concluded we
would just have to agree to disagree. I could live with this.
Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough for some people.
So I was forced in to invest a lot of effort to demonstrate
what to me is an obvious point. Now I know you don't
think its obvious or even correct, but we're not going
to convince each other so there's no practical alternative
to just letting things simmer a while until someone with
a fresh perspective can make a case that can convince
one of us to change is viewpoint. Veiled threats to
fork the library and make my life even more difficult are
really way out of line and that's what I was responding to.
So, please accept my apology if I was a little too harsh.

Robert Ramey