From: Pavel Antokolsky aka Zigmar (zigmar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-15 16:25:05

On 11/15/05, Gennadiy Rozental <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> For example, in some cases I do not want to print non-ascii
> >> characters in hex dump, in others I do.
> > ? How does a hex dump contain anything other than hex digits and space (to
> > separate bytes).
> > You might want a way of controlling whether to use upper or lower case
> > letters (but I wouldn't bother).
>
> In my case I follow format presented by some text editors I am used to. It
> includes both hex and actual data on the right. But I wouldn't insist that
> much on this particular one.
It's ok, but only in some cases. For example, less sophisticated
editors go crazy, when trying to display non-ascii characters. And
when output contains new line symbols and zeroes the log becomes a
mess.
I'm not telling that isn't useful (I use it myself from time to time),
just telling that IMHO simple solution isn't enouth (for generic
library in boost), but complex is too complex for the logging library.
It would be actually nice, if boost did have some kind of pretty
formatting library.

--
Best regards,
Zigmar