From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-15 18:32:32

Rene Rivera wrote:

> By the way it's only 16 variants that get built. The rest are the result
> of not having the version tag so those are just either copies or symlinks.

That's still pretty intimidating, and requires a lot of memory / disk / time
to build.

I totally agree that a single configuration should be picked by default.
I don't know the technical details well enough, but couldn't the default
be set by individual library maintainers ? Or redefined, if the boost-wide
default configuration is inappropriate for a given library ?

Also, I believe the build parameters used to build only a subset of the
configurations, and the one used to build the 'system' layout deserve a
much more prominent exposure in the docs. Each time I want to rebuild
boost, I have to google around to remind myself of the options I want...

And we are not even talking about bb1 vs. bb2 yet...

Regards,
                Stefan