From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-23 08:56:06

On Nov 23, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> I'm not sure that there will be such a major speedup compared to the
>>> naive (1).
>>
>> Why the doubt? We've measured.
>
> Out of curiosity, what did you measure?

The 10x speedup that was measured was for using the serialization
library, with and without save_array hooks to (de)serialize a
std::vector<double> and a double[] into a binary archive, both into
memory buffers and onto disk. The codes were posted with the message
that started this thread. To quote just one number, the CPU times
required to write 10 million double into a file were 4.12 and 0.37
seconds respectively.

Matthias