From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-25 20:15:37

Ian McCulloch wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I think you should check your benchmark code again. I think it is
> not doing what you think it is doing.

whoops - of course you're correct. Here are the correct (numbers)

for value_type set to char

Time using serialization library: 1.922
Size is 100000004
Time using direct calls to save in a loop: 1.031
Size is 100000000
Time using direct call to save_array: 0.25
Size is 100000000

for value type set to double

Time using serialization library: 0.86
Size is 100000004
Time using direct calls to save in a loop: 0.36
Size is 100000000
Time using direct call to save_array: 0.265
Size is 100000000

> Secondly, the buffer in the oprimitive class has much less
> functionality
> than the vector<char> buffer, as well as the buffer I used previously
> (http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/97156.php). In
> particular,
> it does not check for buffer overflow when writing. Thus it has no
> capability for automatic resizing/flushing, and is only useful if you
> know
> in advance what the maximum size of the serialized data is. This
> kind of buffer is of rather limited use, so I think that this is not
> a fair comparison.

I think its much closer to the binary archive implementation the the
current binary_oarchive is. I also think its fairly close to what
an archive class would look like for a message passing application.
The real difference here is that save_binary would be implemented
in such a way that the overhead per call is pretty small. Maybe
not quite as small as here, but much smaller than the overhead
associated with ostream::write. So I believe that the above
results give a much more accurate picture than the previous
ones do of the effect of application of the proposed enhancement.

> FWIW, I include the benchmark I just ran. Amd64 g++ 3.4.4 on linux
> 2.6.10, and cheap (slow!) memory ;)
>
> vector<char> buffer:
>
> Time using serialization library: 3.79
> Size is 100000004
> Time using direct calls to save in a loop: 3.42
> Size is 100000000
> Time using direct call to save_array: 0.16
> Size is 100000000
>
> primitive buffer (with the save_binary() function modified to do
> "buffer += count"):
>
> Time using serialization library: 1.57
> Size is 100000004
> Time using direct calls to save in a loop: 1.35
> Size is 100000000
> Time using direct call to save_array: 0.16
> Size is 100000000
>
> Interestingly, on this platform/compiler combination, without the bug
> fix in save_binary() it still takes 1.11 seconds ;) I would guess
> your Windows compiler is doing some optimization that gcc is not, in
> that case.

Thanks for doing this - it is very helpful.

Sure you're compiling at maximum optimization -O3 . In anycase, this
is not untypical of my personal experience with benchmarks. They vary
a lot depending on extraneaus variables. Our results seem pretty comparable
though.

Robert Ramey