From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-05 19:16:53

AlisdairM wrote:
> Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
>

>>I'd suggested such move (under name Boost 2.0) some time ago:
>>http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2004/03/62626.php
>>In discussion I got convinced this is huge undertaking, not feasible
>>even in long term.
>

> That was my understanding too - more work than people wanted to do.
> However, I would certainly drop my request to maintain Borland support
> if that was the goal.
>

>>The
>>
>>#if BOOST_WORKAROUND(__BORLANDC__, BOOST_TESTED_AT(0x???))
>>
>>is used in libraries I had chance to look at.
>>I hope at least this works.
>

> Not all workarounds are using BOOST_TESTED_AT, but checking <=0x564 as
> the last released compiler (or 0x570 for Kylix). Many of those still
> need updating for the new compiler :?(
>
> Fortunately, most workarounds ARE using BOOST_TESTED_AT, so it is just
> a matter of seeing how many are still needed.
>

>>It may be interesting to compare number of errors
>>with existing workarounds and without them, whether
>>something in front-end actually got better.
>

> Front end is definitely better, but maybe not in ways that show up in
> Boost tests. As often commented, Boost tests are not an ISO
> conformance test, just one heck of a workout ;?) Many of the
> improvements do not show up, or simply open up the path to the next
> blocker.
>

> Note that Borland admit this compiler is not ready for prime-time yet,
> and are already planning a further update around the end of the year
> (so quite soon!)

What you have is not the real release of their C++ compiler for BDS
2006. They had already announced that they would hold up the official
release of the C++ personality of their suite for another month, while
they worked out kinks, and that whatever is shipped as part of the C++
personality, to people who ordered the suite under its Delphi or C#
name, is merely a trial version. The "further update around the end of
the year" which you mention is the real version of their C++ personality
for BDS 2006.

Still I have little personal hope that Borland will have significantly
improved their compiler's C++ standard conformance with the official
release but we will not know until that really happens.