From: Yuval Ronen (ronen_yuval_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-11 04:30:41

Larry Evans wrote:
> On 12/10/2005 09:09 AM, Yuval Ronen wrote:
>
>>One point in favour of array, is that it ensures us of O(1) lookup time.
>>A good compiler might do that with switch/case but I'm not sure it's
>>something that we can rely on.
>
> Actually, Andy Little did a comparison which showed the switch was
> faster than the array:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/msg/6de73412e552c387

I'm not really sure, but I have feeling the switch/case advantage is
marginal (am I right?). And another thing I'm not sure of is whether
this must be the case with all compilers. If not, then I think I prefer
a good algorithm to relying on compiler optimization which might not be
so good in compilers other than those tested in this test.

But that's just me...