From: Maciej Sobczak (prog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-16 06:09:12

Hi,

I would like to resurrect the discussion about database support in Boost
by posting here the following announcement:

<announcement>
I'm pleased to announce that the new release of the SOCI library is
available for download. The homepage of the project is:

http://soci.sourceforge.net/

The SOCI library is a database-access library that tries to mimic the
syntax known from Embedded SQL, but staying within the standard C++.
The target audience of the SOCI library are those developers, who need
an efficient, but also straightforward and easy to use interface.

This new release brings the following enhancements:

1. More extensive support for object-relational mapping.

2. A plug-in architecture for backends, which allows to target various
database engines by simply linking with the chosen backend.
Currently, the following database engines are supported (through their
respective "native" interface):

* Oracle
* PostgreSQL

</announcement>

We have prepared a small rationale FAQ that can be of interest to you:
<http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/rationale.html>.

We would like to put this library under consideration for inclusion into
Boost, but before we will bother you with formal submission or anything
like this, it should be acknowledged that SOCI, at the moment, does not
support Microsoft servers. We would like to therefore invite those of
you who have some expertise with ODBC or ADO to help us writing relevant
backend. Contributions targetting other database engines are also
welcome, of course.

Regards,

Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/