From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-02 16:36:16

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Maisonave" wrote
>
>> What's the point of creating a great class, if only a handfull of
>> developers ues it, because the majority have no idea how to use it?
>
> You cant escape the fact that writing documentation is the most tedious, rotten,
> boring, miserable, mind-numbing job imaginable ***.

I disagree. Finding the right way to explain something deepens one's
own understanding of it and -- very often -- uncovers real problems
with the design. I think the skills required are really essential to
becoming a great software designer. If you give it the time it
deserves and treat it as part of the process rather than just
something to do after you've written the code, it can even be
enjoyable.

It may be awful for some people, but it doesn't have to be so for
everyone. Your statement is just a little bit too self-fulfilling for
my taste ;-)

> Thats why so much documentation is bad or non-existent. Thats why
> some library is "nearly finished" after even a couple of years
> "except for the documentation", which is going to be started "very
> soon now"

I think that happens in part because people don't appreciate what they
can get out of doing the documentation work.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting