From: Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-03 05:33:43

"Paul Giaccone" <paulg_at_[hidden]> wrote

>>it:

>>why anyone should be using Boost.

(Apologies for the messed-up indentation.) Some people seem to have
taken my proposed advertising spiel seriously. Please note that I said
"Well, maybe not, but something along those lines." The ad-speak was
intended to be facetious but also to provoke discussion of the issue,
which it clearly has.

Contrary to what some have said, Boost *does* need to be sold. The
website currently does little to inspire the new user to want to use
it. A few paragraphs like those I posted would draw the user in and
have them downloading it in an instant. At the moment, I suspect that
the keen user doesn't come to that realisation until they have browsed
several pages, and the casually interested user will just not bother.

You developed Boost because you want people to use it, so it makes a
great deal of sense to tell them *why* they should use it, and not just
how to.

Paul