From: Kevin Heifner (heifner_k_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 09:35:31

Paul A Bristow wrote:
> I've downloaded this and thought about trying it, but like bjam, something
> else suddenly seemed more important ;-)

Funny how that works. :)

> Isn't this rather a sledge hammer to crack a nut for this particular problem
> (without in any suggesting that it isn't an excellent building tool).

I don't think so. The beauty of MPC is that it generates
makefiles, MSVC++ 7.1, MSVC++ 8, etc. from one easy to maintain
file. Often times no source files have to be listed. Therefore
when files are added to the project all that is needed is to
rerun MPC. No need to modify three, four, or more "makefiles".
It is especially nice when some developers do not have access to
MSVC++ or Borland or whatever, they don't have to worry about
maintaining these build files.

bjam provides many of these same benefits. The difference is
that MPC lets everyone work in their favorite environment. Long
term we hope to support bjam output as well.

> Surely it would be simpler to just either provide the prebuilt libraries, or
> a few .NET projects to do this, at least for the latest MS compiler?

Prebuilt libraries is the easiest for people who are on the
common platforms and don't wish to have their own tweaked build.
  MPC is targeted at those who need/wish to build themselves.

KevinH

--
Kevin Heifner  heifner @ ociweb.com  http://heifner.blogspot.com
           Object Computing, Inc. (OCI) www.ociweb.com