From: Andy Tompkins (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 10:53:59

Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 2/13/06, Andy Tompkins <atompkins <at> fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> > I have uploaded my initial version to the root directory of boost vault in
> > order that others can view and critique it. In the near future, I plan to
> > add
> > code so that it conforms to the requirements of boost.
>
> Overall the code looks pretty good. I do have a few minorquibbles:
>
> - Use forward slashes (/) in include paths, not backslashes.

Thanks, will do.

> - The ostream inserter might make good use of the IO State Saver class
> (http://boost.org/libs/io/doc/ios_state.html)

Thanks, will do.

> - I'd ditch the braces in the stream input and output operations (but
> I'm not a big GUID user so perhaps these are handy). Or perhaps this could
> be controlled using a custom manipulator.

I was unsure about your suggestion at first, but I now agree with you. I
will make the output operator exclude the braces by default, and I
will add a custom manipulator to include them. The input operator will work
with or without braces.

> - Do the stream operators need the try/catch block? I assume these
> exist to handle the case where the stream has exceptions enabled. In the
> catch block, the exception is just re-thrown, so is your exception handling
> even necessary?

I believe you are correct in that they are not necesssary. I will remove them,
thanks.

> - The guid::create method only works for Windows. Perhaps an
> implementation using Boost.Random could be provided for other
> platforms without "native" GUID creation?
>
> There is a class called "zuid_t" in the Adobe Open-Source Libraries (
> http://opensource.adobe.com/classadobe_1_1zuid__t.html) which might be
> useful as a reference design. It makes use of MD5 to produce a seed state
> for "zuid_t" generation.

I am currently creating a platform independent create method. Thanks for
the link.