From: Beth Jacobson (bethj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-20 19:05:43

David Abrahams wrote:
> Beth Jacobson <bethj_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

>>** Text and Number Handling - These range from enhancements to improve
>>accuracy and performance to full-featured libraries suitable for
>>advanced text and mathematical processing.
>

> I like everything but this one. In what way do text processing and
> numerics belong together? Feels arbitrary to me.

Both of them, along with system-level, are different from the rest of
the categories because the decision to use them has to do with the type
of application you're writing. Any program could potentially benefit
from language enhancements, code generation, etc, but there's not much
use for text handling libraries unless your app handles text. Also, the
other categories seem to naturally group libraries of similar complexity
together, while text and numerics are all over the map.

I suppose the real reason I put those two together is that they both
kind of bother me. The categories are too useful to consider eliminating
them, but they don't quite fit the with rest of the list. That doesn't
really justify expicitly grouping them though. Maybe it would be better
just to put system-level, text, and numerics at the end of the list.