From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-26 10:42:46

Hi all,

I think it's correct to say that many of us would like to see an IEEE
conforming implementation of a decimal floating point library in boost.
AFAIK C++ is the last of the important programming languages which has
none in it's standard library.

While it's for sure a major project to start from scratch and write a
complete implementation (I don't know if there ever will be a group of
people who are able *and* willing to do that...), there's maybe another
option: IBM has recently put their C implementation (which is widely
known as reference implementation) under GPL as part of GCC. It would be
quite easy to write a C++ wrapper around this library and put it all
together into boost, and I would volunteer to do that.

So:

- are we allowed to do that?
- is this desirable?

Thoughts?