From: Pavel Vozenilek (pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-01 02:57:33

"Gennadiy Rozental" wrote:

> "AlisdairM" wrote:

>> I will happily assist library maintainers hunting down and eradicating
>> support for older Borland compilers, so long as the most recent is
>> supported (until such time that 'most recent' is reasonably conforming
>> and no longer auto-deprecated when a new compiler is released)
>
> Sorry I do not follow you logic. Why do we need to support old borland
> compiler with new boost release? Lets support new one. So new compiler
> users have 1.34 boost support. Old compiler users will keep using 1.33.1.

 Borland C++ 6.x stayed here for long and people had developed
/huge/ project in it (and they sometimes regret the choice).

These people cannot afford to switch, especially since
the typical BCB release requires series of patches
to be useable and the transition is not automatic
(for example BCB 5 -> BCB 6 requires user to recreate
project files from the beginning).

And yet they would like to have latest patches
and fixes available.
Backporting fixes is nonexistent in Boost.

/Pavel