From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-01 15:03:13

Robert Ramey wrote:

>If the HEAD is always maintained in "releaseable" state you won't
>want to do such a thing. Of course you could branch from a previous
>version - but in practice I wouldn't expect one to want to.

I would. Especially if you're going to stop support for old compilers,
you will want a releasable branch for each of the old Boost versions
that were the last to support a specific compiler. You'll also want to
be able to backport bugfixes to that old version (or check in backports
that other people do for you), which means that you'll want to make
point releases for these old versions.
I think this is a prerequisite to dropping support for compilers that
still are in use, like VC6.

Sebastian Redl