From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-01 16:00:24

<klarer_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:du2c32$ejq$1_at_sea.gmane.org...
> Work is already underway in the C++ committee on the following Work Item:
>
> "JTC1.22.24733 - ISO/IEC TR 24733 - Information Technology - Programming
> Languages C++ - Technical Report of Type 2 on Extensions for the
> programming language C++ to support decimal floating point arithmetic"
>
> The latest draft of this document is not yet on the WG21 committee
> website, but I imagine that it will be very soon. You can see an older
> draft there now:
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1839.html

The current mailing just became available. The latest version of the decimal
arithmetic proposal is
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n1965.html

Stefan (or others), would you have any interest in implementing this
proposal for Boost (under the Boost license)?

Although it would be a big job, the critical interface design and
documentation work are essentially done in that you can just reference
Robert's paper.

It would a useful library for Boost users, and any issues you ran into would
illuminate areas of Robert's proposal that needs more work. The resulting
improvements would be of long term benefit for C++.

--Beman