From: Andras Erdei (aerdei_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-30 18:31:08

On 3/31/06, Foster Brereton <fosterb.boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I agree that mangling the proper spelling of an individual's name is
> inappropriate, and that a proper solution to this issue would
> circumvent that option.

it gets mangled anyway (what you see is code-page dependent,
in my case a greek sum instead of the a: in ja:rvi's name, much
worse than seeing "jarvi")

Thoughts? Alternatives?

not sure about the correct term, it's called something like "flying
accents",
so that e.g. an A with an accent is written as A'

it's pretty straightforward, supported by many tools (like TeX or vim),
and resembles Unicode's way (Unicode U+00C1 written as
Unicode U+0041 + U+0301)

unfortunately i don't know about any standards (or even official documents)

br,
andras