From: Yuval Ronen (ronen_yuval_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-01 04:35:39

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 3/29/06, Foster Brereton <fosterb.boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>The reason this is a problem is because our projects have
>>warnings-as-errors turned on. We are not interested in disabling
>>warnings-as-errors to mitigate the issue because of the far-reaching
>>side effects of such a change.
>>
>>Has anyone else seen this problem? Are there other potential fixes
>>other than removing all high-ASCII characters from the source files?
>

> Disabling that particular warning?

AFAIK, there is no way in MSVC to disable a specific warning other than
using a #pragma, but this is an option only for own code, not
third-party libraries which one have no control over (putting this
pragma in every file before #including Boost header is cumbersome, IMO).

I also think that since Boost supply generic libraries and not specific
GUI, there is no reason for Boost code to go beyond plain low ASCII,
*including comments*. You know what? Especially for comments. A
world-wide project such as Boost must have at least the spoken language
(in addition to the programming language) as a common denominator. Isn't
this why this mailing list is in English only? Why should comments be
allowed in other languages?

This low ASCII rule can also be easily checked by an automatic tool.

Yuval