From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-01 16:02:41

"AlisdairM" wrote
> Andy Little wrote:
>
>> The characters allowed in source files are actually laid down in the
>> C+ standard AFAIK. That is limited to the characters allowed in the
>> grammar and I'm fairly sure that doesnt include e.g the copyright
>> symbol etc.
>
> The standard is actually not very helpful on this score:
>
> For the first phase of translation:
> "Physical source file characters are mapped, in an
> implementation-defined manner, to the basic source character set"
>
>>From that point on, the standard works in terms of the basic source
> character set, but as the mapping to get there is implementation
> defined the source file can use any format the vendors want to support,
> including extended characters (which generally map to \0x... sequences)

OK Thats very helpful...

For boost source files that makes the answer quite simple, because boost works
with multiple vendors so the set of characters allowable in boost source files
should consist of ( set of characters allowed by vendor A ) & ( set of
characters allowed by vendor B ) & ...(set of characters allowed by vendor X )
| (Set of characters which after mapping become characters allowed outside
comments )

Which assuming vendor X is unknown reolves to: (Set of characters which after
mapping become characters allowed outside comments)

regards
Andy Little