From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-06 19:23:39

me22 wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>Please take a moment to have a look at the new docs:
>>http://tinyurl.com/4b9gc. Compare to the style of the 1.33.1 docs here:
>>http://tinyurl.com/rujfh.
>>

> Though overall I like the aesthetic improvements, I'll echo Paul's
> sentiments about the font size.
>
> http://www.boost.org/regression-logs/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/boostbook.css
> seems to specify the default paragraph font to 10 pt, which is much
> smaller than I like to have it ( I have the default font size in
> FireFox larger than the default ).
>
> If you replace the fixed font sizes with relative ones it'd be great.
> After forcing the font size up, it looks excellent.

There's a fair number of people advocating smaller fonts and this lead
to the tweaks you are seeing now. That is in fact the consensus if you
read the voluminous discussions on the issue from way back. I used to
prefer the bigger fonts, but after the tweaks, I do not want to go
back anymore. After all, it's just a ctrl+ click away.

(BTW, I tried the relative font sizes too, as part of my experiments
that lead to the CSS changes we have now. The results weren't good.
On some elements it became too small, others too big. Try it out
with our benchmark: the QuickBook docs. You can find it at:
/tools/quickbook/doc/html. Take note of all the element changes
as you go.)

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman