From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-14 09:20:36

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:28:59 +0000 (UTC), Steve Hutton wrote

> Just a quick note that the SOCI database library has been progressing
> nicely. The current release supports Oracle and Postgresql, and we
> have just recieved contributions of backends for SQLite and MySQL.
> The next release (later this month) should thus contain support for
> these 4 databases.
>
> http://soci.sourceforge.net/
>
> Of course we welcome further contributions, e.g. SQLServer/Sybase
> etc. ;-)
>
> We are not yet at the point where we are ready to submit to boost,
> but we are moving in that direction.

Hi Steve -

Thanks very much for the update. I had looked at SOCI awhile back (was
there a CUJ article?), but it's progressed very nicely since then. To me it
looks like it is on exactly the right course: clean C++ user interface,
extensibility for user types, ability to build 'drivers' for individual
databases. What exactly are you planning on adding before the Boost
submission? Error handling is the only thing that springs to mind looking at
the docs -- I'm sure there's a way, but I didn't see an example.

I'd really like to encourage you'all to think about making a submission to
the committee. As Beman said, it doesn't need to be perfect. The only way
to make it happen is to have a plan and get organized over the next few
months to write up the proposal before the Oct meeting. Even if you aren't
able to come to Portland to present the proposal one of us that is there can
help with that aspect.

Jeff