From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-16 15:26:45

Steve Hutton wrote:
> On 2006-04-16, Andreas Pokorny <andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I am not sure if it faster, but errors could be detected earlier. If the dsl
>> query language is defined generic enough, the query expression could be
>> transformed into database specific query strings, or STL/Multindex query
>> functors, boost::rtl queries or whatever (during compiletime).
>> One would need two separate query models for relational and tree like
>> data, to fullfill most needs.
>
> Others have gone down this path, e.g. Rogue Wave db tools. It certainly
> has allure as an interesting approach from the perspective of a db
> library developer.
>
> However, in practice as a db application developer, I have found some
> significant advantages of the pure SQL string approach:

And another advantage. If those queries are structure in the same vein
as Boost.Format strings they can be changed without modifying the
handling code. A pattern I've used for DB development is to write the
program with SQL query clarity in mind first, then go back and
performance tune those queries. The optimization step would be
considerably more painful if the program needed to be recompiled each time.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything