From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-23 16:34:40

Sebastian Redl wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> Given the avaliabilty of spirite, Dan Nuffer's XML grammar, and
>> probably some sort of tree structure - adobe, multi-index, or
>> roll your own from STL, I'm very surprised no one has submitted
>> a DOM and/or SAX xml parser. It seems to me that this would be
>> a straight forward composition of these three high quality
>> components.
>>

> Not quite. The fourth, and very important, high-quality component that
> is missing is Boost.Unicode (or Boost.Recode or whatever). XML
> requires
> a lot of support for international character sets, at the very, very
> least UTF-8 and UTF-16, BE and LE. In practice, this means passing
> iterators that convert automatically to Spirit. Do we have such
> iterators?

I had to make my own such iterators in order to make xml_archives. These
are described in the serialization library under the misc/dataflow
iterators.
I'm not sure what BE or LE refer to. But I did adress UTF-16 and
UTF-8 was addressed with Ron Garcias UTF-8 codecvt facet. This
is also documented in the misc section of the serializaiton library. A
"complete
unicode solution" has been discussed here in some length. The
requirements kept growing until the job was undoable. Fortunately,
I don't think a "complete unicode solution" is required to make a
serviceable XML parser that we can build on.

> If I had that, I could start in the sandbox right now in my free time.

great - when do you think you'll be done?

Robert Ramey