From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-27 22:03:32

"Michael Fink" <michael.fink_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to port Boost for the Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++
> 4.0 (evc4) compiler that targets PocketPC 2003 and other devices based on
> Windows CE 4.2. The compiler's frontend (parser, etc.) is based on Visual
> C++ 6.0, with little to no changes. As Boost (at present) supports this
> compiler, porting should be rather easy (or so I thought). For Standard
> C++ library support I use STLport 5, since evc4 doesn't have a working
> one.
>
> Before putting more work into porting, I have some questions:
> Is it desirable to port Boost for this platform?

I think so.

> I read that at some version support for vc6 will be dropped. If
> possible, I would like to have at least some version of Boost that
> works with evc4. Where can I get help with more complex error
> messages that appear during porting?

The best thing you can do is post here, with the name of the library
in the subject line.

> What I've done so far:
> I created a custom evc4-stlport-tools.jam file in boost\tools\build\v1 so
> that I can build different libraries. It's more of a hack-together than a
> cleanly integrated build file.

We're switching to Boost.Build version 2 for the upcoming release; you
could probably get the existing v2 msvc toolset to work for you.

> I changed some Boost.Config files to support evc4 compiler.

Post your patches, please (with [config] in the subject line).

> I fixed all issues for evc4 in libs\thread\src\* so that the Boost.Thread
> library compiles without warnings and errors.

Ditto, with [thread] ...

Patches can also go to the SourceForge tracker, if you prefer.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting