From: bwood (brass_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-30 18:49:29

This is a MIME encoded message.

--=_c8ec2df5c7467b6cf815390612de54e0

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>> You've been touting multi_index here as well.
>
>Not at all. If you follow my recent concern with multi_index design I
>actually believe it's lacking.

I read those and was sympathetic to the terminology
arguments you made. L?pez Mu?oz believes it is too late
to make those sort of changes. I disagree with him on that,
but it isn't clear enough yet to me what would be better
terminology. I didn't follow the other matter you raised
in those posts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems B.MI's
serialization forces you to receive a B.MI instance with the
same number of indices as was sent. While on one level it is
impressive that B.MI preserves the relative order of equal
elements, it has a cost. If you have a B.MI with 3 indices
in a server and only need one or two indices in a
client, you have some work to do. In order to accomplish
this I think you would have to receive a B.MI with the same
indices as was sent and then write code that copies the
contents of that B.MI to either a simpler B.MI or an STL
container. Does the preservation of the relative order of
elements matter more than this sort of flexibility?

Brian
www.webEbenezer.net
--=_c8ec2df5c7467b6cf815390612de54e0--