From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-01 13:16:13

Jeff Garland wrote:
> I think Dinkumware has an implementation, but I'm not aware of an open
> implementation. Actually should be pretty trivial as dispatches to the
> low level C routines. Again as I understand that's the intent.

I didn't consider this case for several reasons:
1. to avoid mixing of C and C++ locales
2. itoa is non-standard
3. sprintf is not fast enough ;-)

Performance of sprintf is not a big issue especially
if std::string ctor allocates a memory from the heap.

Actually, instead of having a set of functions that returns
std::string, I'd prefer std::tr1::array<char,N>. It's faster
and you always know max. length of output.

--
Alexander Nasonov
Project Manager