From: Oleg Abrosimov (beholder_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-05 11:00:28

Tomas Pecholt:
> From: "Oleg Abrosimov" <beholder_at_[hidden]>
>> Idea for this lib was inspired by recent discussion on boost developers
>> mailing list. The question under discussion was:
>> Is lexical_cast<> tool good enough for TR2 or not?
>
> This discussion leaned in making one functional version in Boost Vault. It
> is placed as Strings - Text Processing / string_convert.zip. Is there any
> reason for starting developing entirely new library? Why not use it as a
> base?

I'm aware of this library and I've seen into its internals.
In fact, I've borrowed some useful ideas from it.
But I'm afraid you just overestimate the value of the code of
string_convert library itself. It is not a big deal to write some
templates to encapsulate stream usage. I believe that the time
investment to transforming the string_convert lib to string_cvt version
I have right now would be approximately the same as to write string_cvt
from scratch.

The real big deal is to synthesize a solution that is complete and
flexible enough. And this deal is not in coding itself, but in analyzing
all issues that quickly arise here and there.

anyway, I'm very lazy, so I'm going to reuse all available code around.
and lexical_cast and string_convert are in my list, of cause ;-)

Best,
Oleg Abrosimov.